Sell Your Home for the Best Price in Just 9 Steps
Homes used to be solely functional. They used to be purchased to fulfill a specific need of the family that was moving into the property but society has now well and truly moved away from that idea and into the realms of often ridiculous demands, wants and needs that are aesthetic as much as functional. Buyers discriminate against far more elements of the property industry than they used to but that may have a massive impact on you if you are selling your home. You have to make sure that you check all boxes for potential buyers so they cannot pick fault with your home. There are certain mistakes that buyers make and it is necessary to ensure that you do not make them yourself. Furthermore, you can actually employ a 9 step system to make sure that your home is sold as quickly as possible and for the best price possible. Those steps are outlined below for you:
- Analyze Your Reasons for Selling - Make sure that you are fully aware of the reasons why you are selling your home. This will affect the entire process of selling so you need to use your own reasons to dictate exactly how you are to sell your home an what strategies you are to employ. Do not tell buyers about the reasons though - keep them to yourself.
- Always Research the Price - Never set a price for selling your home until you have fully done your research because you need to know exactly how much other similar properties in the same area have sold for. Unless you have a realistic price then agents and buyers alike will stay away but if you do not ask for market value then you may lose money.
- Do Your Homework - Ask your agent to provide you with information on the competition so you can see what you have to compete with. That way you will be able to sell your home quicker.
- Get the Best Agent - 75% of sellers are unhappy with their real estate agent and would not use them again and yet they stick with them to sell their current home. This is wrong. If you are unhappy then switch because there are excellent agents out there that offer excellent communication, feedback and value for money.
- Think Curb Appeal - Make sure that your home is ready for sale by cleaning up clutter, cleaning thoroughly, making the place more homely and even redecorate. Make sure that buyers use emotion rather than logic when you sell your home and it will go much quicker.
- Make Information Available - Make sure that potential buyers can get all the information on your home that they need so they can make an informed decision. It may be that you do this via an information pack or an open house. Either way works just as well in terms of providing information.
- Know Your Buyer - Make sure that you are in control of all negotiations and assess your buyer effectively. Make sure that you are aware of his/her financials and intentions to make sure that you have and maintain the upper hand.
- Complete Contracts in Full - Make sure that your final contracts are completed to the fullest extent. You should have disclosed everything and should ensure that it is all recorded in writing in addition to terms, conditions, costs and liabilities. Always make sure that everything is there to protect you in the future.
- Stay at Home - Never move out before you sell your home because vacant properties do not appeal to buyers. In addition, many buyers may think that they can take advantage of the fact you have a new place and offer less than you want for your home.
It really is as simple as that. All of the above points do not require significant time and effort but can really increase your chances of selling quickly and easily.
If at any time you have questions about selling real estate in Ulster County or the surrounding area, please don’t hesitate to contact Dylan Taft, Principal Broker/Owner, Taft Street Realty, Inc. - 845.687.9292 office or 845.380.3394 mobile.